Team Officials Guide
For Coaches, Assistant Coaches and Managers
At Coquitlam Metro-Ford SC, volunteers are the lifeblood of our organization. The club continues to set high standards both on and off the field, and that would not be possible without the people who give countless hours of their time to the club - particularly those that coach and manage our teams.
Coaching and managing a team is more often than not a rewarding and enjoyable experience, but it's certainly not an easy job. As a club, we have high expectations for how our teams operate and conduct themselves. This section of our website will serve as a resource and reference that will make that job a little easier.
- Team Official Requirements (Coach, Assistant Coach, Manager)
Prior to the start of the season, all team officials are responsible for ensuring that Club policies and procedures are followed by their team members. We strongly encourage coaches and managers to be familiar with all club policies and procedures which can be found in the Club Guide.
Additionally, each team official is responsible for completing the following:
1. Volunteer on Power Up for the applicable season
2. Have a completed Criminal Record Check on file (within three years)
3. Complete online Concussion Education Program *only U11 + teams
4. Access your team roster
Volunteer on Power Up (If you already have a Power Up account, skip to step 3):
1. You may access our site at https://cmfsc.powerupsports.comCompletea Criminal Record Check
2. Click the 'Sign Up' tab on the right side of the screen
3. Once your profile has been set up, log into your profile
4. On the main screen, click 'Volunteer Now!' on the left side of the screen
5. Click the green 'Apply Now' button
6. Fill in the information requested on the form and hit continue
7. Confirm with Member Services that you have completed this process
Please see the Risk Management (Criminal Record) section in the Club Guide.
Concussion Education ProgramIn an attempt to be a leader in player safety, CMFSC has adopted a mandatory cushion awareness training program. We are requiring that all staff and team officials complete the new Concussion Awareness Training module from all Under 11 to Under 18 teams. In addition, we are strongly recommending that at least one parent from each family complete the course as well.
The course can be completed at: www.cattonline.com. Once completed you will be able to select Coquitlam Metro-Ford SC in the drop-down menu to indicate your club and an email notification will automatically be sent to Member Services.
Accessing Your Team Roster
ONLY once you have completed the above steps, will you be able to access your team roster on Power Up.
1. Log into your Power Up account
2. Select your Role as: 'Team Official:HL' (brown tab at the top of the screen)
3. Select your Active Team. The Active Team will be green, while the inactive team will be blue. You will see both if you are a team official for multiple teams
4. Select the Roster tab to view your roster information
*If you do not have an active team, please ensure you read carefully through Volunteering on Power Up.*
- Examples of Communication Documents
As soon as your roster is confirmed, please make sure to reach out to your team to welcome them and provide them with any important information. It is important to set out team expectations early to get everyone on the same page. Below are examples of team emails:
- Coach Certification & Development
As per BC Soccer rules, it is mandatory for all Head Coaches of any youth team to complete the appropriate Canadian Soccer Association/BC Soccer Association coaching course respective to the age group of the team(s) they are currently coaching. Please click here for more information.
The 2017-18 Coach Development Calendar is currently up to date. Please view our coach development page to see the full schedule.
- Training Allocations & Field Training Plan
Please see the following page for information on training assignments as well as the assigned locations at each field. Click here to view.
- Communication Protocol
Under 8 to Under 12 Boys & Girls Communication Protocol
- Parent/Player to Manager/Coach
- Manager to Age Group Coordinator
- Age Group Coordinator to Club Staff
- Club Staff to Club Board, Leagues, District, BCSA, etc.
Under 13 to Under 18 Boys & Girls Communication Protocol
- Parent/Player to Manager/Coach
- Manager to Member Services
- Coach to Technical Staff
- Member Services/Technical Staff to Club Board, Leagues, District, BCSA, etc.
Under 13 to Under 18 BCSPL Boys & Girls Communication Protocol
- Parent/Player to Manager/Coach
- Manager/Coach to BCSPL Administrator (Nicky Land)/ BCSPL Technical Director (Dale Mitchell)
For a complete list of CMFSC Executive and Staff, including coordinators, operational staff, technical staff and the Board of Directors, please visit : CMFSC Club Contacts
CMFSC offers the complementary service of the TeamSnap program (https://www.teamsnap.com) to all CMFSC teams (excluding Initiation Academy teams). This mobile and web online team management software allows teams a simple but powerful tool to keep track of practice schedules, game schedules, attendance, player availability, team payments, send out group messages, post team photos, and more. Effectively, TeamSnap enables teams to communicate, coordinate, and collaborate more efficiently.
Though we provide this service, is it up to the coach/manager, to maintain usage and update as necessary (roster information, schedules). Service is provided throughout the Fall Season and to those teams participating in the Spring Season. At the end of the season, the information is archived and teams will be reset.
*PLEASE DO NOT SET UP A TEAM YOURSELF. MEMBER SERVICES WILL SET UP ALL TEAMS PRIOR TO THE START OF THE SEASON AND GRANT THE HEAD COACH OWNERSHIP ACCESS*
If you believe your team has not been set up, will not be using the service or if you have any questions regarding TeamSnap please contact Member Services.
TeamSnap - How Do I Add My Roster? (218 KB)
- Game Fields & Field Set-Up
U8 - U12 Turf Field Setups
To utilize our turf fields when the weather is poor, we will often move games scheduled on our grass fields to any available turf fields. Since the U8 - U12 program does not use the full field, the setup needs to be followed in a particular way to ensure safety of the players and correctness of the rules.
FIELD SET-UP GUIDE U8 - U12
Notes to remember when using the turf fields:
* Some teams will be required to use portable nets. These portable nets MUST be secured by sandbags are not safe without them. If you cannot locate them, please call the City 604.506.4965. ONLY the portable nets can be moved to different fields. The regular nets must stay on the fields they are found on.
* We often schedule games back to back to maximize our turf fields, so please make sure your set-up and clean-up are as efficient as possible. If the team playing before you is set up the same way, have cones ready to trade with the finishing team so the field does not have to be re-setup
* Parents are absolutely NOT to be on the turf field. They must remain on the outside of the fenced areas for the entire duration of the game
* Make sure you notify your opponent ASAP if your field location/time is changed
Field Etiquette - Training
All teams are assigned training times by the club. Teams are expected to respect the allocations as provided both to themselves and the other teams.
- Do not enter the field prior to your scheduled start time
- Do not stay on the field after your scheduled end time
- Warm ups and cool downs should take place off the field
- End zone areas (and the warm up area at Town Center) are not free space
If there are any issues of this kind, we ask that the coaches/managers avoid confrontations at the field. If other field users (from our club or other organizations, even the general public) are not respecting the allocations and proper field etiquette, please notify appropriate club personal.
Field Etiquette - Games
- Do not go to the bench area until the game before you has ended.
- When warming up, please be respectful of the game before you. Avoid warming up directly behind the goal area, and please keep balls from going astray on to the field of play.
- Please clean up the bench areas when your game is over. Do not leave empty water bottles, discarded tape, and ice packs. All trash can be put in the provided receptacles.
- At the conclusion of your game, please vacate the bench areas to allow for the next team to setup.
Relocation form Grass to Turf
During winter weeks, we may relocate your game to turf. For teams U8 - U12, please click here for the guidelines when setting up your field at Town Centre and Charles Best.
Please also note the following:
- Disassembling Fields - Games have been scheduled back-to-back to maximize the number of teams that can play on a given day. If you are the Home team, as soon as your game ends, the equipment must be put away immediately. As well as your own team benches/equipment, this also includes moving the nets to the fences and removing any cones that have been setup as sidelines. This may involve notifying parents ahead of time to start this process as soon as the final whistle blows. The only time this is not done, is if the team playing after you approaches you to let you know their set-up is the same.
- Cone switching - If you are the next game to play and your field has already been set-up appropriately with cones, have a matched number set of cones ready to give the team that is about to finish their game, rather than having them clean up their cones, and you setting down new cones.
One blue lock key will be provided to each team. This key works for the field boxes that hold the equipment as well as the light switches for the practice fields. If your team does not have a key, please contact your coordinator.
Parents & Spectators
A reminder that all parents and spectators are to remain on the opposite sideline of where the player benches are setup, for the entire duration of the game.
The priority is for teams to wear the blue/black jerseys as much as possible. The white alternates will only be worn by the CMF team that is the home team and only if they are playing another CMF team or a team that has a jersey colour that clashes with our blue/black set. Coaches/Managers, should confirm jersey colour with the opposing team prior to game day, however, players should ALWAYS bring both jerseys to every game.
Home Team: CMF Lions
Away Team: CMF Bears
Lions would wear WHITE as they are the home team and are required to change. Bears would wear Black/Blue.
Home Team: CMF Lions
Away Team: PCEFC Tigers
Lions would wear BLACK/BLUE as they are the home team, unless the Tigers show up to the game wearing black.
Referee Development Programs:
Referees are a very important part of the club. Without referees we cannot play the game we all love. It is very important to develop, mentor and support our referees as we do the players and coaches. At CMFSC we take our referee program very seriously and have a zero-tolerance policy towards any kind of Referee abuse. We have an extensive Referee Mentorship and Development Program.
It is important that we ensure that we DO NOT question or provide feedback to any of the referees during the game or after the game. This is an important point to ensure that your parents also understand. Remember these referees may only be 12-14 years old.
Feedback on a referee's performance is to be provided by team officials through the referee evaluation form http://www.cmfsc.ca/referee-evaluation-form. Please use this form when you have a positive experience with a referee as well!
Home teams are responsible for paying the referees before the game. Please ensure that the exact of money in cash is paid, per the referee payment schedule. Please print out the the referee reimbursement form and bring to to each game. The form can be submitted for reimbursement in December and upon completion of the season.
Scan and email the completed form to: Gracey Deluca at email@example.com. Or you can drop the form off at the equipment depot, through the mail slot with a self-addressed envelope.
Officials Payment Claim Form (618 KB)
- League Schedules
Links to all league schedules can be found here.
- League Rules
Everyone should be familiar with the league rules:
CMFSC U8-U10 Small Sided Game Rules (495 KB)
- Game Time Change Request Process
Creating game schedules is a balancing act with many considerations which include:
- Scheduling games back-to-back on the same field to reduce the need for setup and take down of equipment by the same team.
- Working around coaches with multiple teams so they can make it to as many of their teams' games as possible.
- Scheduling grouped games to streamline ref scheduling.
Changes create a domino effect of changes for other teams and ref scheduling and cannot be entertained within 48 hours of a scheduled game.
To minimize disruptions, here are some guidelines to follow:
- Any request for a time change in U8-U12 age groups with fixed schedules MUST be sent a minimum of 10 days prior to requested game change. Every effort will be made, but no requests can be guaranteed. Change requests must be proposed to your opposing CMFSC team first. Only if they agree, are you able to make the request. For teams playing non-CMF teams, a request can be made without opponent approval, but this is NOT recommended since it may lead to a cancelled game by the opponent.
- For teams without fixed schedules (U12 SEL-U18), please email Gwenda at least 10 days prior to the weekend in question with your preferred game time and every effort will be made to accommodate.
- Send request to Gwenda Woodbury (divscheduler/at/cmfsc.ca ) and cc your age group coordinator. (Please provide the reason when this is requested.)
Switching with another team:
It is also permitted to switch times with another game (ie you have a 10am game but would like to switch with someone else that is hosting a 12pm game), you must contact your opponent and both teams involved in that game to request the swap. If all 4 teams agree to the switch, then email Gwenda (cc the other team coach/managers) to let her know so she can update the team info for the referees doing those games. These game swaps should be done well in advance for the fixed schedule games and as soon as possible after home games are posted for divisional games. Absolute deadline is 3 days prior to the game.
Because referees are assigned according to their skill level, and some games require 3 officials while other games require only one official, such switching can only be done between same age group teams within a league (ie. U15 Div 3 teams cannot switch with a U15 MSL team or a U14 team.) All teams involved in the change are then responsible for informing their players of the new game time. Gwenda will adjust the game schedule and inform the referees.
- Game Cancellation Process
Please be advised that if you arrive at your field and determine it to be unplayable, or you are unable to field a team, you must take the following steps as soon as possible to ensure all parties are notified immediately.
- Contact opponent to notify them of cancellation. Team contact information is available on the website here:
- Boys Minis - https://www.cmfsc.ca/minis-boys-u8-12
- Girls Minis - https://www.cmfsc.ca/minis-girls-u8-12
- Boys U13-U18 - https://www.cmfsc.ca/boys-contacts-U13-U18
- Girls U13-U18 - https://www.cmfsc.ca/girls-contacts-U13-U18
- Out of Club Contacts - Please look up applicable Club website or check league website
- For game day cancellations, contact your referee scheduler by TEXT MSG ONLY including your team name, age group & game details to confirm cancellation so that they can notify the referees ASAP:
- Mini’s - Andrea Brizuela - 604-729-0427
- Divisional’s - Gwenda Woodbury - 604-657-7170 (or Pete Dragan - 778-839-5108)
- During times that we are experiencing inclement weather, please check the website here to ensure your field is open. If all fields are closed, an email will be sent out to all CMF teams via Power Up and referees will automatically be cancelled, but please ensure any out of club opponents are notified as early as possible.
**Referees are due payment when they are not able to be notified within 3 hours of the start of the scheduled game or when the game is cancelled on site by the referee due to field conditions.** Teams are responsible to pay the referee if cancelled on site. The club will pay the referee in all other game cancelled situations.
- Team Lists and ID Cards (U12-U18)
All teams from Under 12 to Under 18 are provided with a set of BCSA ID cards for players and staff. BCSA ID cards will be created internally by CMFSC at the beginning of the season and distributed to coaches. All cards must be turned in at the end of the season.
You must provide the ID cards along with two copies of your team list to the referee prior to the start of your match. Please ensure that you obtain your cards from the official at the end of the game. Please note that only those individuals with ID cards and listed on the official team list are permitted to be on the bench or in technical areas.
Teams playing in BCSPL and MSL are required to have they ID cards effective the first game of the new season. Teams playing in 5 District League (Boys) and BC Coastal Girls Soccer League do not need ID cards until October 1.
Teams MUST use the team list forms issued by their respective league. Do not make your own. Metro-Select League, 5 District and the BC Coastal Girls Soccer League all have specific forms. They are available on the league websites here as well as below:
- Metro-Select League Team List - http://metroselectleague.ca/wp/resources/forms/
- BC Coastal Soccer League Team List - http://www.4districtsoccer.com/downloads/BCCSL-Game-Roster.pdf
- BC Coastal Girls Soccer League Team List - https://www.bccgsl.ca/documents
Teams that lose their ID cards will be charged a replacement fee of $50.
- Player Permits (U13-U18)
All of the Leagues allow the use of permits in League play. Teams may call up players from either a younger age group of the same division or lower, or from the same age group but lower division. Permitted players must be from our club with the exception of BCSPL.
For Metro-Selects League, the permit is located on the bottom of the team list form; BC Coastal Girls League and the BC Coastal Soccer League use a separate permit form available on their website.
- Metro-Selects League - http://metroselectleague.ca/wp/resources/forms/
- BC Coastal Girls - https://www.bccgsl.ca/downloads/Play%20Up%20Permit%20fillable.pdf
- BC Coastal Soccer Intra Club Permit - http://www.4districtsoccer.com/downloads/BCCSL-Intra-Club-Permit.pdf
The process is as follows:
- Contact the coach of the player (s) you wish to call up to confirm availability and get permission to permit the player(s).
- Complete the permit including approval from the player's coach.
- Permit must be emailed to Scott Fletcher at srdir/at/cmfsc.ca for District approval. Scott is the club's District designate.
- Permits will only be accepted by email and must be received 24 hours prior to scheduled kickoff. (Same day permit requests will not be processed).
- Approved permits will be returned via email by midnight the night before your scheduled game.
- Permits must be provided to the match officials. ID cards for the permitted players must also be presented.
- CMFSC Team Contacts
Prior to your game each week, make sure to email the opposing team to confirm game time, location, and uniform colour. You will have to go onto other clubs' websites for team contact information but for internal matches, below are all of the CMFSC contacts:
- Picture Day
Initiation Academy - October 14th and 15th
Minis & Divisional - September 23rd and 24th (makeup October 14th and 15th)
BCSPL - TBD (Spring 2018)
Location - Town Centre above Cunnings Field, corner of the parking lot
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your allocated time
- Players should wear their Blue/Black jersey, shorts, soccer socks, cleats
- Coaches should wear their coach's kit. If you have not received your kit, we will have extra jackets to wear for the picture
- Age Group Technical Staff Head Coaches
This season will see an expansion of our Age Group Head Coach Support with expansion to the Under 12 age group. The Age Groups Head Coaches will continue to supports teams and coaches through running team sessions and observation and support at games on weekends.
Under 7 Boys - Liam Carter
Under 7 Girls - Liam Carter
Under 8 Boys - Liam Carter
Under 8 Girls - Giovanni Carida
Under 9 Boys - Anthony Marrello & Dante Marconato
Under 9 Girls - Rachael Pelat
Under 10 Girls - Tony Cargill
Under 10 Boys - Connor Ayre
Under 11 Girls - Karim Ismael
Under 11 Boys - Tony Cargill
Under 12 Boys - Giovanni Valente
Under 12 Girls - Lindsay Sayers
Please see here for a full description of bios of our Age Group Head Coaches (under Technical Staff).
- Club Raffle
Raffle packages will be handed out at the coaches meetings during sign-in. Please read the raffle information package (included with your tickets) carefully.
- All coaches/team representatives attending the meeting must pick up and sign for their team package before they leave the meeting.
- The team packages are to be given immediately to the team manager for distribution of the tickets to the players. The instructions are contained in the package.
- The date for return of the completed packages is Friday, October 6th (Monday, October 16th for the IA Teams).
- More information about the raffle can be found here.
- Individual Player Programs
Please refer your teams to the following link for Academy information.
Drop-In Complimentary Goalkeeping Clinics
Each season the club provides complimentary goalkeeping clinics for Under 8 to Under 12 players. As most teams do not have dedicated goalies, this position is often shared amongst all players. These sessions are designed to give players some practice and instruction to prepare them for this position and give them more confidence when it is their turn in goal.
These sessions are complimentary and no registration is required. Players can attend as many of the sessions that they would like. All Coaches are welcome to attend as well to observe.
Saturday, September 9th - 4:00pm - 5:00pm at Town Center South (Grass Field)
Sunday, September 10th - 4:00pm - 5:00pm at Town Center South (Grass Field)
Wednesday, September 13th - 6:00pm - 7:00pm at Town Center South (Grass Field)