2010/11 - THE YEAR IN REVIEW
Success for the Coquitlam Metro-Ford SC (CMFSC) topped off the end of the 2010 season.
- Four of our teams won Youth Coastal Cup Championships
- Three of our teams won Provincial Cup Championships, our fourth team finished second
- Our club sent three teams to the Youth Club Nationals and came home with two National Cup wins and one fourth place finish
As only six teams represent the Province of BC at the National Championships, we are extremely proud of our teams’ accomplishments and that 50% of the teams from BC were from CMFSC.
Congratulations to the U18 Boys Dynamo and the U14 Girls Fusion on their gold medal wins and to the U18 Girls Silence for their fourth place finish. Both the Dynamo and Silence have been top teams in their respective leagues since U14. These two teams have sent numerous players such as Richard Causton, Katherine Caverly, Erin Uchaecz and Jaclyn Sawicki, to top Whitecaps, National and Provincial programs. Thank you to the following volunteer coaches and Managers – Dave Jones, Kingsley Jones, Colin Betts, Keegan Ayre, Luis Guerreiro, Rob Leung, Richard Henly and Kevin Schisler for your dedication and time commitment to these teams and their success.
For the 2010 Y-League season, our club sent five of our seven teams to the North American Finals in November. Our U15 Boys team, coached by Danny Jones and Peter Price won the North American Championship title. Coquitlam Metro-Ford SC was awarded the #1 ranking in the Pacific Northwest Division, recognizing both the administrative and competitive club components. This is a great accomplishment for our second full season in the USL Y-League program.
The club held its annual awards banquet in September of 2010 with the following awards selected:
- Most Inspirational – Neil McGregor
- Female player of the year – Kaila Henly
- Male player of the year – Kyle Jones
- Female team of the year – U18 Metro Silence
- Male team of the year – U18 Select Dynamo
- Female team – Coach of the Year – Richard Henly and Kevin Schisler
- Male team – Coach of the Year – Kingsley Jones
- Numerous retiring coaches and volunteers were recognized
The club was thankful to hire Dale Mitchell as our Director of Coaching - Select Programs. Dale is another great addition to our already stellar technical staff of Sara Maglio, Alfredo Valente, Phebe Trotman and Andrea Maloney. Dale is the all-time leading scorer for Canada and is a Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame member. He represented Canada at the World Cup and in the Olympics. Dale has played professionally and coached our Men’s National Team, Under 20 National Team and the Vancouver Whitecaps. Dale holds an A-National level coaching licence.
Our U21 Junior Wolves won all three competitions in 2010 – league cup, league and Provincials.
The club had 20 players selected to the 2010 Provincial Team Program. The names of all players selected are on our website under acknowledgements.
The club also had 16 players selected to the National Training Centre Program. The names of these players are also listed on our website.
Daniel Stanese, a club player for many years was selected to the Whitecaps Residency Program and then to the U17 National Team.
David Norman Jr., was selected again to play on the Western Canadian Team in the DANONE Cup.
The club continued its solid partnership and sponsorship support bringing on new sponsors for our Adult Premier Program – Me-n-Ed’s Pizza and the John B Pub. Our current sponsors and business partners, Soccer Express and Adidas continue to provide us with exclusive Adidas wear. Thank you to our sponsors – Metro Ford Motors (Primary Sponsor), Soccer Express, Active Network, Tim Horton’s, The Now, John B Pub and Me-n-Ed’s Pizza.
Our Initiation Academy program continues to grow and is very popular. This program is for 4-6 year olds and includes paid and volunteer coaching. Phebe Trotman, Head Coach of the Initiation Academy, provides a full documented curriculum for our paid coaches and program. This program registered close to 650 players last season.
Our three annual tournaments (Friendship, Labour Day and Thanksgiving) were all successful this past year with our Friendship Tournament running a month ago........great weather, lots of fun, well run and no snow!! A big thank you to our volunteers Andy Brauer and the Tournament Committee for a great weekend of soccer.
Our annual Soccer Day of Fun was successful again this year. This day is a free way to introduce young players to the game of soccer. The program is run by one of our Directors, Bruno Colangeli and some of our staff. The event was well attended with all players walking away with prizes, drinks, snacks and some great fun. We will run this event again in May or June of 2011 and if you are interested, register quickly as this fills up fast!
Our volunteer base continues to grow with a dedicated volunteer Executive, Board of Directors and President, along with approximately 500 other volunteers in our club.
Player registration in the club continues to increase with record numbers of close to 3000 registered adult and youth players in the 2010 season.
Moving forward to 2011-2012
For 2011, our club will have two teams in the Pacific Coast Soccer League (PCSL) this spring and summer, a Women’s Premier team and a Men’s U21 team.
Our club will again have seven teams in the Y-League. This program runs April through July. This will be our last year of Y-League play.
The club had 17 players selected to the 2011 Provincial Team Program. The names of all players selected are on the home page of our website.
Our annual spring break camp had record numbers of over 200 registered players. A huge thank you to Alfredo Valente who continues to deliver of all the club’s technical programs, camps and academies.
Our U12 Boys Galaxy team, coached by Bob Roselund won the U12 Division Select Cup with a team of U11 players.
Our U12 Girls Shock team, coached by Mark Cave won the U12 Division Select Cup.
In February of this year, our club was awarded one of the eight founding franchises for the new EA Sports BC Soccer Premier League. This new league will now be the highest level of youth soccer in the Province. The league will strengthen elite player and coach development in the Province and condense our elite player base into eight organizations. The plans for the new league include teams from the U13 – U18 divisions. The first full season will commence in February 2012 with a short pre-season series September to November 2011. Our club is very proud of this accomplishment and the awarding of our spot in developing this new league. The selection of Coquitlam Metro-Ford as one of the founding members continues to show our long-term success in the following:
- Professionally run organization
- Strong financial performance and sponsorship support
- Continued focus on player and coach development
- Success in competitions and player selection to Post Secondary, Provincial and National programs
- Comprehensive technical programs
- Qualified technical staff and coaches
- Top level facilities
Our annual Coaches Appreciation event will take place this Friday, April 8th with our usual coaches’ games and then food and beverages at Me-n-Ed’s Pizza.
Our club night with the Vancouver Whitecaps will take place on Saturday, May 28th vs. New York at 4:00 p.m. at Empire Field. Our players will be involved in escorting of the players, ball retrievers, flag bearers and the high five lineup. More information on how to purchase tickets to this game will be forthcoming.
Our AGM will take place on Monday, May 30th – 7:00 p.m. at the Mike Butler Room, Dogwood Pavilion.
Our club will be involved in the Kick for a Cure program this year. The event will take place at Town Centre on July 23rd.
Our club just recently selected Pete Dragan as our new Club Head Referee. Pete has been officiating for fifteen years and is a District Referee working on his Regional level. Pete will be responsible for recruitment, retention and development of our game officials.
Thank you to our membership for your dedication and support of our club and programs. For those teams still in cup play, the best of luck and to our last year of Y-League teams have a great 2011 season. Most importantly, a huge thank you to the many volunteers that make this club so successful.......the club would not be where we are without you!!
Coquitlam Metro-Ford SC
2008/09 – THE YEAR IN REVIEW
- Weather topped the list of issues in 2008 and it seems like the 2008/2009 season never even really started. We are now coming into a great time of the season with cup play, the Domenic Mobilio Friendship Tournament and our new spring/summer programs starting. We now have four of five turf fields available for use, with Cunnings becoming operational in early February. We continue to work with the City of Coquitlam on their snow clearing policies for turf fields.
- I would like to take this opportunity to thank Dave Jones, Ken and Tanya Roughead, Sara and Alfredo for all their hard work and patience in the last few months. With the weather situation and the lack of field space, this has been a trying time for all. They have worked hard to amalgamate and move technical programs, plan for training and game allocations based on need, etc. We hear your complaints, but we just cannot make everyone happy. We also had to deal with Cunnings being out and Douglas College, Pinetree and SD 43 using other field allocations, which minimized our complement of time.
- Gyms and indoor facilities were also a challenge this past year due to the cancellation of contracts, other sports, schools closing and seismic upgrading in four of our schools. This is something that is out of our control and we continue to try and find indoor facilities to accommodate our younger players.
- Unfortunately, we didn’t have any Provincial Champions in 2008, nor did we send any teams to the National Championships. We did finish with 2 Silver medals, 2 bronze medals and one fourth place finish. We hope to improve on that in 2009……we did have many other successes in 2008:
- Numerous CMFSC players were selected to the CSA National Training Centre
- Approximately 18 players also represented our club at the Super Y-League National Championships in Florida in November
- The U16 Mountain WFC team coached by our CMFSC coach, Les Krivak and CMFSC assistant coach Rob Mazzarolo, as well as players Paul Clerc and Matthias Kempe won the North American Finals
- Paul Clerc of the U18 Select Dynamo was selected as the male MVP of the entire Y-League finals in Florida
- Richard Causton, goalie for the U18 Dynamo was selected to the Canadian Men’s U17 National team
- Twenty-five club players were selected to various Y-League teams
- Nineteen club players were selected to our BC Provincial teams
- Our Women’s Select City Slickers team won the Provincial B Cup
- Michael North, Kyle Jones and Anthony De Luca played for the Summer Games teams that won Gold and Silver. The team that won the Gold medal was coached by our club coach, Danny Jones.
- CMFSC continued its relationship with Coquitlam KidSport, with our members contributing almost $3,000 to the KidSport organization through our online registration process. Coquitlam KidSport just had its most successful year with 204 approved grants, for various sports, being handed out to Tri-City players. Due to the success of this organization and kind members like ours, Coquitlam KidSport will increase their grant amount to $200.00 this year. Thank you very much for your continued support for families and kids in need.
- Our second CMFSC raffle completed at the end of November. The net proceeds of this major club fundraiser were $58,000+. As always a huge thank you to our raffle coordinators, Sandra Foucher and Bruce Dent, for their work on the raffle. The raffle included the Initiation Academy and adult teams this year, so thank you to them as well for your contributions.
- Our club raffle is just one of our ways of generating revenue for our club, over and above our annual player registration fees. I am very proud to state that our Board of Directors, Executive, volunteers and staff generated 28% or almost $210,000 towards club revenue in the 2008 period. This revenue was generated through our technical programs, raffle, sponsorship and tournaments. This isn’t possible without some very hard work.
- Soccer Express and Adidas continue to be our key business partners and provide exclusive Adidas wear to our players and Executive. Soccer Express also donates thousands of dollars of goods to our club on an annual basis. Thank you to our sponsors – Metro Ford Motors (Primary Sponsor), Tim Horton’s, Bank of Montreal, Como Creek Brewing and Media North.
- Our website has been enhanced to include the PCSL and Y-League portals. A big thank you to our webmaster, Ed Foucher, for his continued work. Please continue to use our website for your online source of club information.
- Carly Williams and Stephanie Russo were our successful candidates for the Domenic Mobilio annual bursaries. Our club continues to contribute an annual amount to the Domenic Mobilio Bursary through the Coquitlam Foundation.
- Our Mini programs continue to grow and be successful. Our Initiation Academy has over 500 players and an additional waiting list. These new players to our club will get uniforms next season, play early mornings on our turf fields and have paid instructors. They also take part in the annual Friendship Tournament.
- Our annual Domenic Mobilio Friendship and Labour Day Tournaments were successful again this year. We have since added a Thanksgiving Day Tournament.
- Our free 2nd Annual Soccer Day of Fun was run by one of our Directors, Bruno Colangeli and our staff. The event was well attended with all players walking away with prizes, drinks, snacks and some great fun.
- Free coach development sessions and goalkeeping clinics were provided.
- High performance academies, player academies and development team programs were again offered through Sara and Alfredo.
- Town Centre Park is almost fully functional and our soccer club is currently now using all fields. There are some changes to the fencing at Town Centre West and other enhancements that will continue to take place. A clubhouse facility is still being discussed at this location and meetings are ongoing. Our club has been instrumental, along with the Coquitlam Field Sports Association in making this happen. Our soccer club continues to get many compliments on this facility and we are thankful to the City of Coquitlam for their foresight and commitment to this large expenditure. A facility of this type allows us to increase our use of turf fields, hold more tournaments, provide opportunities for other year-round programs and continue with our success as a club.
Moving forward to 2009
- I am very pleased to report that there will be no registration increases in the 2009/2010 season with the exception of a $10.00 increase to the Initiation Academy players due to the switch from t-shirts to uniforms. This does not include our technical programs, where you will see a slight increase in all facets. In these tough economic times, our Board of Directors continues to work hard to ensure that soccer is a sport that all players can afford to be part of. The budget for the next year is very slim though and will require some prudent financial management to achieve even a break even season.
- Please ensure that any financial hardship cases are brought forward through your Executive. As noted above, there are also other funding sources (KidSport, etc) available for youth players.
- Plans are underway to change our fiscal year from January 1st – December 31st to April 1st to March 31st. This period will more closely align to our playing season. This requires a change to our constitution and that will take place at our AGM in March 2009.
- Sara Maglio is slowly transitioning into her Executive Director role and will continue as the Technical Director as well. Other changes to our technical staff structure will be forthcoming through the spring and summer with additional positions being offered.
- Postings for the Registrar and Men’s Premier Head Coach positions have been completed. We will post later this spring for a Mini Referee Scheduler and a Divisional Game Official Scheduler.
- Spring/summer of 2009 will see our first club Y-League teams taking to the fields. We will field 8 youth teams and they will play through the May – July timeframe. The top team from each division will then attend the North American Finals in Florida in November. Please check out our website for more information.
- We will also have three teams in the Pacific Coast Soccer League (PCSL) this spring and summer. A Women’s Premier team, a Women’s U21 team and a Men’s U21 team. The Tri-Cities Xtreme Soccer Club was purchased last year by CMFSC and the above teams represent our first club teams in the PCSL.
- The above Y-League and PCSL programs don’t just fall into the lap of any soccer organization. These programs have been awarded to our soccer club due to the hard work of our volunteers and staff.
- The Coquitlam Metro-Ford SC is seen as a well organized, professional organization with good technical staff and operational excellence. Our club is seen as one that focuses on coach and player development first and foremost. We have been asked to provide best practices to other soccer organizations and provide information on our policies and procedures, structure and constitutional by-laws.
As always, I am proud to represent this soccer club. This club causes me many opportunities, some challenges and much enjoyment. It is great to be part of such a well run club………a club that continues to put player and coach development at the top of its priorities. Our Board, Executive, volunteers and staff are doing a tremendous job leading the way to much more success. Have a great finish to your 2008/2009 season!
President, Coquitlam Metro-Ford SC
2007/08 - THE YEAR IN REVIEW
- The first official season of the merged Metro-Ford Soccer Club and Coquitlam City Soccer Association got underway with very few issues. Our newly formed club, the Coquitlam Metro-Ford Soccer Club, is half way through another very successful season, on and off the field.
- A three-year contract was signed with Adidas to be our official sponsor for our team equipment. Our relationship with Soccer Express continues and we are thankful for their support and operational improvements.
- The first CMFSC raffle completed on December 15th and was a great success. It is not quite known what the final net proceeds of the raffle are, but they are in the neighborhood of $40,000. A big thank you to our raffle coordinators, Sandra Foucher and Bruce Dent, for their work on the raffle. Thanks also to the team representatives that took on the job of ticket reconciliation, etc.
- Thank you to our primary sponsor Metro Ford Motors for their donation of a vehicle to make this raffle a reality.
- The raffle is a Class A raffle through the BC Gaming Commission and the rules and regulations are very stringent. These additional funds (over and above registration fees - our major source of revenue) assist us in applying this revenue to our large equipment costs (our biggest budget item). We can then look to use the additional funds on capital projects and as always focus on player and coach development at all club levels.
- The Board was successful in securing a three-year contract with Sara Maglio and Alfredo Valente. Their new contract will expire in 2010. We are appreciative of their expertise, professionalism and program development. Both Sara and Alfredo had their first children this year. Benjamin Kindel was born on April 19th to Sara and Steve and Noah Valente was born to Alfredo and Krissy on December 19th. It will be interesting to watch their soccer prowess develop.
- Our new website was developed and implemented in September. A big thank you to our webmaster, Ed Foucher, for his continued work.
- Alex Muzzin and Wayne Punchak were our successful candidates for the Domenic Mobilio annual bursaries.
- Domenic Mobilio, our friend and soccer great was inducted into the Soccer Hall of Fame.
- Our first free Soccer Day of Fun was held in June with over two hundred players joining in on a great day of soccer fun.
- Our Mini programs continue to grow and be successful. Our Initiation Academy has over 500 players with waiting lists and paid coaching.
- Our annual Domenic Mobilio Friendship and Labour Day Tournaments were successful again this year. Alfredo arranged a Domenic Mobilio Memorial game to open the 2007 Domenic Mobilio Friendship Tournament. The match participants were family and long term playing friends of Domenic's.
- Free coach development sessions and goalkeeping clinics were provided.
- High performance academies, player academies and development team programs were again offered through Sara and Alfredo.
- Our club supported numerous coaches attending the BC Soccer Conference in December. Numerous other coaches completed various levels of their NCCP, with some Provincial and National certifications being awarded.
- Our club strategic meetings took place in May. These meetings are planned every two years. A group of approximately 20 Board, Executive and club members were invited to provide feedback and sit in on the two-day meetings. The meetings help us review past initiatives and look to the future to continue to move our club forward. There were three main future items that are being looked at; paid coaching (along with volunteer compensation), board structure / possible use of committees and capital projects (a clubhouse).
- The paid coaching committee (joined in part by the paid volunteer analysis) has been set and meetings will take place in January and February. There has been a lot of feedback, some supporting paid coaching and volunteers and some against same. We are hoping that everyone will offer their insight into this tough subject and plan to be a part of the club's decision.
- A revised board structure is currently being discussed among the Directors.
- A sub-committee of the CFSA (Coquitlam Field Sports Association) has been set to discuss the potential clubhouse at the new Town Centre facility. The committee is being led by Chris Sheppard and the first meeting should be sometime this month.
- A multi-field complex, complete with turf and grass fields, will be completed sometime in 2008. Again, through the hard work of this club, the Town Centre facility is coming to fruition. This dream started six or seven years ago and the long term members of this Board, especially Doug Macdonell, deserve our thanks for their dedication in seeing this through. Also, the Coquitlam Field Sports Association and Chair, Dave Jones, again have showed how volunteerism and the love of a sport can change a community.
- The first CMFSC awards banquet took place in October. This will be an annual October event and there were awards for top teams, coaches and players.
- Various members of our Board and Sara and Alfredo are sitting on the operational and technical committees of the Mountain WFC affiliate of the Vancouver Whitecaps. This is to assist with the planning and development of the program in 2008. We hope that our players and coaches will support this program, as well as our Provincial Team Program.
Coquitlam Metro-Ford Soccer Club
COQUITLAM CITY SOCCER AND METRO-FORD SOCCER MERGE CLUBS!!
The Board of Directors of Coquitlam City Soccer are happy to advise that we have officially agreed to merge our soccer club with the Metro-Ford Soccer Club. The benefits of this merger are many:
- one large club providing quality soccer teams and programs
- a Mini Initiation Academy that will have between 400-500 players, many who will be getting quality, paid coaching.
- mentoring opportunities for our younger players to be involved in coaching and giving back to the game
- better access to fields and facilities
- combining of soccer expertise
- a soccer committed title sponsor - Metro Ford Motors
- top level Women's and Men's Premier teams
- a full club soccer compliment from non-selective teams to the highest level teams
- more challenges and opportunities for our Technical Director, Sara Maglio and Head Coach, Alfredo Valente
The Metro-Ford Soccer Club was founded in 1984 in Coquitlam and is well known for their strong Men's Premier Wolves team and also their significant youth involvement. The Metro-Ford teams have been very successful in Provincial Cup play, winning numerous titles over many years. Coquitlam City Soccer has been steadily building all our programs. Our girl's programs have grown considerably over the past five years and we are home to the girl's U18 Metro Coquitlam City Wild - four time Provincial Cup Champions, National Champions in 2003 and 3rd place in 2005. Between our two soccer clubs, we sent five teams to Provincial Cup in 2006. Our clubs' philosophies are very similar; soccer is a sport for everyone, development of soccer should start at a very young age, quality coaching is required and challenging programs need to be in place for elite players. The Coquitlam/Metro-Ford Soccer Club will continue to have teams at every level. Our mandate will continue to be "to develop and deliver comprehensive programs for life". If you have any questions about this merger, please feel free to contact any of our club's Directors.
DOMENIC MOBILIO INDUCTED INTO THE CANADIAN SOCCER HALL OF FAME
Domenic Mobilio has been inducted into the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame. Induction ceremony took place on May 5, 2007 in Woodbridge, Ontario. Article